Eggs are one of the few foods that are considered a superfood. Eggs are packed with nutrients. It is considered one of the most nutritious foods in the world.
To prove this fact with basic science, an egg would contain all the essential nutrients required to turn a cell into a fully grown embryo.
Few eggs which are Omega3 enriched or pastured are a step above the normal eggs that are healthier.
Why do we need to consume eggs?
- Loaded with nutrients eggs are one of the best foods to include in our everyday diet. It provides all the essential nutrients lacking in a modern diet.
- Even though eggs are loaded with cholesterol consuming them regularly will not negatively affect the cholesterol level in the blood.
- The eggs would increase the levels of HDL or the good cholesterol level in the body. This would, in turn, lower the risk of various diseases
- Choline is a very important nutrient that is used to build the cell membrane. Eggs contain choline. A single egg would contain approximately 100 milligrams of this nutrient.
- LDL cholesterol is also known as bad cholesterol. High levels of LDL cholesterol are directly related to heart diseases. Eggs would decrease the LDL cholesterol level in the body.
- Omega-3 enriched eggs contain a high good amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eggs are high-quality animal protein. They are also loaded with various essential amino acids.
- Eggs are heart-friendly food that helps lower the risk of heart diseases especially for people who are suffering from diabetes.
- Due to the high protein content eggs are filling. By consuming food that is filling, may cut down consumption of additional unwanted calories thus promoting weight loss.
Various studies have been performed on eggs. And the studies show that eating whole eggs is very healthy.
How many eggs can we eat in a day?
There is a misconception surrounding the eggs. Many people believe that eggs are high in cholesterol and hence eggs can’t be consumed.
The yolk indeed contains cholesterol. Cholesterol is often portrayed as a villain to our body. Cholesterol is of two types good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.
The liver in our body produces a large amount of cholesterol.
To ease the work of the liver we can compensate by eating cholesterol-rich food like eggs.
A medium-sized egg contains about 180 mg of cholesterol. This is around 60% of the daily intake levels of an average healthy human.
The recommendations include 2 to 5 yolks per week.
However, the recommendations aren’t accurate. There is no specific limit in the number of eggs a person can consume in a day.
Despite many studies being performed on people who ate three eggs for a day evidence is not sufficient to prove that eating more than that could negatively impact their health.
There are specific case studies where an elderly person who had consumed 25 eggs per day had normal cholesterol levels and was in excellent health.
However, individual responses to high egg consumption cannot be explained.
It is also important to understand that it’s sold in different variants. The eggs in the supermarket come from factory-raised chickens. The Omega three enriched eggs come from the hens which were raised on pastures res
Considering the range of nutrients egg has to offer it is termed as one of the healthiest foods on the planet. There is no scientific evidence to prove the number of eggs a person could eat in a day.
If a person is still mindful of the cholesterol levels, he is free to consume egg whites. Egg whites are one of the purest forms of animal protein. Bodybuilders and many other athletes consume regularly as it plays an important role in their diet.
Eggs can either be hard-boiled, soft boiled scrambled, or baked. Eggs are tasty and play a very important role in the diet culture. In fact, certain fat diets involve consuming only eggs.
Consuming eggs for breakfast would keep us full for a longer period and also cut down unwanted calorie intake throughout the day.
Do we have a safe way to eat eggs?
As we read about eggs, we need to understand that they can be enjoyed as a part of a healthy diet but for additional health benefits cooking them without salt or fat is recommended.
Eggs can be boiled or poached without adding salt and still taste good.
Scrambling eggs using low-fat butter food be a great idea for breakfast.
Despite eggs being naturally healthy whole foods by frying them we can increase their fat content by 50%.
If a person is trying to eat eggs to lose weight, he can always opt for a low-calorie cooking method. Combining eggs with a few vegetables would boost the vegetable intake and add extra necessary fibre and vitamins to the meal.
It is important to understand that low heat cooking methods can cause lesser oxidation of cholesterol and would retain most of the nutrients of the egg.
Eating eggs most enjoyably is important without worrying much about finer cooking details that are negligible.
To sum up
Eggs are considered a perfect food. There are no limitations on the numbers stating a person should not eat more than X number of eggs in a day. Eggs are loaded with nutrients and protein.
However, a dietician would advise an individual on how many eggs to consume based on the needs of a person.
Mindful consumption is always recommended.