What is meant by cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a substance found in every cell in the body. Only if the body has cholesterol, then the body would be able to produce hormones. Cholesterol resembles a fat cell. Cholesterol is required because it helps build cells, digest food, and produce hormones.
Cholesterol is good for the body. But high levels of cholesterol would have negative effects on the body.
There is one type of cholesterol called LDL cholesterol often referred to as bad cholesterol. It is so-called because it tends to collect itself in the walls of our blood vessels, which in turn increases the chances of cc.
Not all cholesterol is bad for the body. We need cholesterol to protect our nerves. Even our brain is made up of some cholesterol.
Some form of cholesterol enters our body through the food we eat. Our liver produces cholesterol as well. The cholesterol does not dissolve in the bloodstream. Hence the protein cells present in our body carries it wherever it needs to go.
The term LDL stands for low-density lipoprotein.
Most of the protein in our body is LDL protein. The other type of protein is called as their high-density lipoprotein or HDL protein.
What is a healthy range of LDL cholesterol?
- Having low numbers in a test is considered better when it comes to LDL cholesterol.
- Having a number less than 100 milligrams per deciliter is considered normal.
- A score ranging between 100 to 129 per deciliter is considered near to or above optimal.
- Anything between 130 to 159 per deciliter is considered borderline high.
- A score of 160 to 189 per deciliter is a high level
- Anything above 190 milligrams per deciliter is considered very high.
What are the risks involved in having high LDL cholesterol?
High LDL cholesterol levels can cause many problems like
- Various heart diseases
- Increasing the possibilities of getting a stroke.
- Decreasing the overall body wellness.
How to lower high LDL cholesterol levels?
A medical professional would help us fabricate a plan which involves a few simple lifestyle changes or may even suggest a few medications to lower the LDL cholesterol levels in our body.
The plan may include a combination of
How to reduce cholesterol naturally? Does diet help?
- Diet plays a very important role in determining a person’s health. Knowing a person’s lifestyle choices would help us understand the changes we need to make to lower cholesterol levels.
- Eating enough portions of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans is necessary to get our cholesterol level under control.
- Consuming natural foods that are rich in fiber content will help the body to fight against bad cholesterol.
- Reducing the consumption of saturated and trans fats would make a difference. Saturated fats are usually found in red meat and fatty dairy products. By reducing the consumption of these foods, we can naturally cut down the bad cholesterol intake by a good percentage.
- Avoiding foods like cookies and cakes would also help to lower the cholesterol level.
- Consuming foods that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids are beneficial to us because omega 3 fatty acid doesn’t affect the LDL cholesterol level in our body. We need to consider adding more omega 3 fatty acids to our diet as it has several benefits to the heart. Consuming foods like walnuts, salmon, flax seeds that have high omega 3 content would improve heart health.
- Losing weight can also be an effective way to lose the bad cholesterol present in the body. Carrying extra kilos may increase the chances of having high LDL cholesterol levels.
By shedding those few extra pounds, it would be easier to manage weight and the cholesterol level in the body.
At times making these healthy lifestyles, swaps are not enough. A doctor may recommend some medications to reduce the LDL cholesterol level in our body.
It is not advisable to make drastic changes to the way we live. Lifestyle changes are made for a sustainable and healthy life. Following a specific plan for a month may provide results. Adapting to the change and sustaining the healthy way of living is a slow process and it takes time.